Emily S. Brouwer - M.P.H., Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Brouwer is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science and an affiliated faculty member in the Institute for Pharmaceutical Outcomes & Policy (IPOP). She also holds a joint appointment as Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology in the College of Public Health.
Dr. Brouwer received her Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology from Emory University, and her Pharm.D. degree and Ph.D. degree in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Research InterestsDr. Brouwer's on-going research interests involve the methodological consideration of health services research, including the prudent use of electronic medical records and claims data in conjunction with traditional data collection methods in order to answer important health questions. She currently focuses in the clinical areas of HIV and cardiovascular disease.
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society (2013)
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) Scholar (2012)
- National Institutes of Health, Loan Repayment Program Award (2009-2011)
- Brouwer ES, Policastri A, Moga DC. You would like to use administrative data for your pharmacy residency research project: 10 considerations before you begin. Am J Health Syst Pharm. In press.
- Brouwer ES, Moga DC, Eron Jr JJ, Napravnik S. Evaluating the incident user design in the HIV population: incident use versus naive? Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014 Sep 25. doi 10.1002/pds.3705 [Epub ahead of print]
- Brouwer ES. Women living with HIV and healthcare reform. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014 Aug;23(8):715. Doi: 10.1089/jwh.2014.4881. Epub 2014 Jul 23.
- Brouwer ES, Napravnik S, Eron JJ Jr, Stalzer B, Floris-Moore M, Simpson RJ Jr, Stürmer T. Effects of combination antiretroviral therapies on the risk of myocardial infarction among HIV patients. Epidemiology. 2014 May;25(3):406-17. doi: 10.1097/EDE. 0000000000000041.
- Wixson SE, Brouwer ES. Sex differences in benzodiazepine use in the HIV-infected population. AIDS Care. 2014 Mar 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brouwer ES, Napravnik S, Eron JJ, Simpson RJ, Brookhart MA, Stalzer B, Vinikoor M, Floris Moore M, Stürmer T. Validation of Medicaid claims-based diagnosis of myocardial infarction using an HIV clinical cohort. Med Care. 2013 Mar 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Masica A, Ewen E, Daoud Y, Cheng D, Franceschini N, Kudyakov R, Bowen, J, Brouwer ES, Wallace D, Fleming N, West SL. Comparative effectiveness of oral antidiabetic drugs on development of chronic kidney disease. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013 Apr;22(4):413-22. Doi:10.1002/pds/3413. Epub 2013 Feb 24.
- West SL, Squiers LB, McCormack L, Southwell BG, Brouwer ES, Ashok M, Lux L, Boudewyns V, O'Donoghue A, Sullivan HW. Communicating quantitative risks and benefits in promotional prescription drug labeling or print advertising. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013 Feb 26. Doi 10.1002/pds.3416. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brouwer ES, West SL, Kluckman M, Wallace D, Masica AL, Ewen E, Kudyakov R, Cheng D, Bowen J, Fleming NS. Initial and Subsequent Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Patients Treated in Primary Care Using Data from a Vendor-Based Electronic Health Record. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Jan 16. doi: 10.1002/pds 2262. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brouwer ES, Napravnik S, Smiley SG, Corbett AH, Eron JJ Jr. Self-Report of Current and Prior Antiretroviral Drug Use in Comparison to the Medical Record Among HIV-Infected Patients Receiving Primary HIV Care. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011 Apr;20(4):432-9. doi: 10.1002/pds.2096. Epub 2011 Feb 3.
- Brouwer ES, Napravnik S, Eron JJ Jr. Predictors of Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor Use: Channeling Bias in HIV Clinical Care. 25th International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management, Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009 Aug;18(S1).
- Suchindran S, Brouwer ES, Van Rie A. Is HIV Infection a Risk Factor for Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis? A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2009;4(5):e5561. Epub 2009 May 15.