Emily S. Brouwer - M.P.H., Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Brouwer is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science and an affiliated faculty member in the Institute for Pharmaceutical Outcomes & Policy (IPOP). She also holds a joint appointment as Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology in the College of Public Health.
Dr. Brouwer received her Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology from Emory University, and her Pharm.D. degree and Ph.D. degree in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Research InterestsDr. Brouwer's on-going research interests involve the methodological consideration of health services research, including the prudent use of electronic medical records and claims data in conjunction with traditional data collection methods in order to answer important health questions. She currently focuses in the clinical areas of HIV and cardiovascular disease.
- National Institutes of Health, Loan Repayment Program Award (2009-2011)
- Brouwer ES, West SL, Kluckman M, Wallace D, Masica AL, Ewen E, Kudyakov R, Cheng D, Bowen J, Fleming NS. Initial and Subsequent Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Patients Treated in Primary Care Using Data from a Vendor-Based Electronic Health Record. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Jan 16. doi: 10.1002/pds 2262. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brouwer ES, Napravnik S, Smiley SG, Corbett AH, Eron JJ Jr. Self-Report of Current and Prior Antiretroviral Drug Use in Comparison to the Medical Record Among HIV-Infected Patients Receiving Primary HIV Care. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011 Apr;20(4):432-9. doi: 10.1002/pds.2096. Epub 2011 Feb 3.
- Brouwer ES, Napravnik S, Eron JJ Jr. Predictors of Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor Use: Channeling Bias in HIV Clinical Care. 25th International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management, Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009 Aug;18(S1).
- Suchindran S, Brouwer ES, Van Rie A. Is HIV Infection a Risk Factor for Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis? A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2009;4(5):e5561. Epub 2009 May 15.
- Hansen RA, Henley AC, Brouwer ES, Oraefo AN, Roth MT. Geographic Information System Mapping as a Tool to Assess Nonresponse Bias in Survey Research. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2007 Sep;3(3):249-64.
- Hansen RA, Roth MT, Brouwer ES, Herndon AS, Christensen DB. Medication Therapy Management Services in North Carolina Community Pharmacies: Current Practice Patterns and Projected Demand. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2006 Nov-Dec;46(6):700-6.