Eric Munson - Ph.D.
Dr. Munson's research interests lie in the area of using solid-state NMR spectroscopy, powder X-ray diffraction, and other techniques to characterize solid pharmaceuticals. Differences in the crystalline state of a drug may significantly change its physical and thermodynamic properties. For many drugs, multiple crystalline polymorphs exist whose crystal structures are not known. Solid-state 13C magic-angle spinning (MAS) NMR spectroscopy is a powerful technique for studying polymorphic systems. It can be used to determine the degree of crystallinity, to identify the number of crystallographically inequivalent sites in the unit cell, to study the dynamics of molecules via relaxation measurements, and to understand the molecular structure based on the chemical shift of the individual resonances.
Specific research areas that are being pursued in his group include the investigation of the structure and reactivity of pharmaceutical agents in polymer matrices; correlation of solid-state NMR chemical shifts with molecular structure; investigation of the transformations between crystalline and amorphous forms of pharmaceutical solids; effect of processing upon drug structure and stability; investigation of peptide and protein stability in formulations; and the effects of freeze drying upon drug stability.
- Fellow - American Associaton of Pharmaceutical Scientists (2009)
- Pfizer Research Scholar Award (2003)
- Lubach, J. W.; Xu, D.; Segmuller, B.; Munson, E. J. “Investigation of the Effects of Pharmaceutical Processing Upon Solid-State NMR Relaxation Times and Implications to Solid-State Formulation Stability”, J. Pharm. Sci. 2007, 96, 777-787.
- Sotthivirat, S.; Lubach, J. W.; Haslam, J.; Munson, E. J.; Stella, V. “Characterization of Prednisolone in Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump Pellets Using Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy”, J. Pharm. Sci. 2007, 96, 1008-1017.
- Chakravarty, P.; Berendt, R. T.; Munson, E. J.; Young, Jr., V. G.; Govindarajan, R.; Suryanarayanan, R. “Insights into the dehydration behavior of thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1) hydrates: Part I.” J. Pharm. Sci. 2010, 99, 816-827.
- Chakravarty, P.; Berendt, R. T.; Munson, E. J.; Young, Jr., V. G.; Govindarajan, R.; Suryanarayanan, R. “Insights into the dehydration behavior of thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1) hydrates: Part II.” J. Pharm. Sci. 2010, 99, 1882-1895.
- Berendt, R. T.; Munson, E. J. “Detection of chiral defects in crystalline organic solids using solid-state NMR spectroscopy.” J. Pharm. Sci. 2011, 100, 1879-91.
- Sperger, D.; Fu, S.; Block, L.; Munson, E. “Analysis of Composition, Molecular Weight, and Water Content Variations in Sodium Alginate Using Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy” J. Pharm. Sci. 2011, 100, 3441-3452.
- Sperger, D. M.; Munson, E. J. “Analysis of Structural Variability in Pharmaceutical Excipients Using Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy” AAPS PharmSciTech 2011, 12, 821-833.
- Luthra, S.; Utz, M.; Gorman, E.; Pikal, M.; Munson, E.; Lubach, J. “Carbon-Deuterium Rotational-Echo Double-Resonance NMR Spectroscopy of Lyophilized Aspartame Formulations” J. Pharm. Sci. 2012, 101, 283-290.
- Berendt, R. T.; Munson, E. J. “Effect of enantiomeric ratio and preparation method on proline crystal form” CrystEngComm 2012, 14, 2479-2488.
- Gorman, E. M.; Samas, B.; Munson, E. J. “Understanding the Dehydration of Levofloxacin Hemihydrate” J. Pharm. Sci. 2012, 101, 3319-3330.
- Mozziconacci, O.; Haywood, J.; Gorman, E. M.; Munson, E.; Schoeneich, C. “Photolysis of Recombinant Human Insulin in the Solid State: Formation of a Dithiohemiacetal Product at the C-Terminal Disulfide Bond” Pharm. Res. 2012, 29, 121-133.
- Calahan, J. H.; Zanon, R. L.; Alvarez-Nunez, F.; Munson, E. J.; “Isothermal microcalorimetry to investigate the phase separation for amorphous solid dispersions of AMG 517 with HPMC-AS” Molecular Pharm. 2013, 10, 1949-57.
- Dempah, K. E.; Barich, D. H.; Kaushal, A. M.; Zong, Z.; Desai, S. D.; Suryanarayanan R.; Kirsh, L.; Munson, E. J. “Investigating gabapentin polymorphism using solid-state NMR spectroscopy” AAPS PharmSciTech 2013, 14, 19-23.
- Pyszczynski, S. J.; Munson, E. J.; “Generation and Characterization of a New Solid Form of Trehalose” Molecular Pharm. 2013, 10, 3323-3332.