Melanie Mabins - Pharm. D.
Dr. Melanie Mabins is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy where she coordinates and teaches in the Patient Care Laboratory. She teaches with a focus on patient-centered care in ambulatory and community settings. Dr. Mabins also coordinates and teaches in the Nonprescription Pharmaceuticals & Supplies course. Within the College, she serves on the Healthcare Colleges Behavioral Code committee and advises the UK chapter of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association.
As a clinical pharmacist, Dr. Mabins serves at the University of Kentucky Polk-Dalton Clinic alongside a nurse practitioner using the Chronic Care Model. In this innovative pharmacy and interdisciplinary service, she provides diabetes education and management and medication therapy management services. Her practice interests include pharmaceutical care in indignet, ambulatory clinics and diabetes.
Dr. Mabins in a 2000 graduate of Kentucky State University, a 2004 graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, and was residency-trained at The Ohio State University. She continues with a passion in teaching pharmacy students as well as underserved populations and strives to advance cultural diversity efforts within the College and in patient care.
- Lyman T. Johnson Torch of Excellence Award Recipien (2003)
- Inducted, Phi Lambda Sigma Honorary Society (2003)
- Departmental Honors, Kentucky State University (2000)
- Inducted, Alpha Kappa Mu Honorary Society (1999)
- Coordinator, Patient Care Laboratory I
- Instructor, Contemporary Aspects of Pharmacy Practice III
- Mitchell T, Mabins M, Freeman, PR. Teaching Self-Care Recommendation and Dispensing Skills in the Context of Patient-Centered Care. Poster session presented at: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Annual Conference; 2007 July; Orlando, FL.
- Mabins M, Emptage R, Giannamore M, Hall L. Drug sample provision and its effect on continuous drug therapy in an indigent care setting. JAPhA May/June 2007; 47, 3: 366-372.
- Melanie Mabins, Trenika Mitchell, Karen Blumenschein, Patricia Freeman. Perception vs. Reality: An assessment of student interpretations of prescription order quantitative statements. 2008 AACP/AFPC Annual Meeting and Seminars in Chicago. July 2008.
- Mabins,M. "From Concepts to Practice: Using the Patient Care Laboratory to Apply Nonprescription Pharmaceuticals and Supplies Case-Based Learning." Nonprescription Medicines Academy Annual Meeting. Cincinnati, OH
- Mabins M, Emptage RE, Giannamore MR, Hall LE. Drug Sample Provision and the effect on Continuous Drug Therapy in an Indigent Care Setting. Submitted October 2006.
- Conn's Current Therapy 2006 Edition, Pharmacy, Co-Editor, two chapters
- N'Dia R, Mabins M, Romanelli F. Trends in thyroid lab tests. Advances for Physician Assistants 2003; 10:21.