Paul Bummer, Ph.D.
Dr. Bummer's research efforts have centered on colloid systems, interfacial phenomena, and their application to drug delivery. Work centers on the application of lipid excipients and surfactants as means of enhancing the delivery of poorly-soluble drugs (most notably anti-cancer agents) by both the oral and parenteral routes. His publications include studies on drug solubilization and mass transport in lipid assembly systems, and biophysical properties of pulmonary surfactant. He is a member of the AAPS Lipid-Based Drug Delivery Focus Group Steering Committee. He is a field editor for the journal "Pharmaceutical Research". He has chaired the dissertation work of 8 PhD and MS students and mentored 8 post-doctoral scholars.
Selected HonorsAwards include AAPS Young Investigator Award (1995)
Commonwealth of Kentucky Science and Engineering Award (2002)
- Mengesha AE, Wydra RJ, Hilt JZ, Bummer PM. Binary blend of glyceryl monooleate and glyceryl monostearate for magnetically induced thermo-responsive local drug delivery system. Pharmaceutical Research, in press September 2013.
- Feng S, Bummer PM. Competition of hydrophobic steroids with sodium dodecyl sulfate, dodecyltrimethylammonium bromide, or dodecyl β-D-maltoside for the dodecane/water interface. Langmuir. 2012 Dec 11;28(49):16927-32. (PMID:23151278)
- Mengesha AE, Bummer PM. Simple chromatographic method for simultaneous analyses of phosphatidylcholine, lysophosphatidylcholine, and free fatty acids. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2010 Sep;11(3):1084-91. (PMID:20585908)
- Land LM, Li P, Bummer PM. Mass transport properties of progesterone and estradiol in model microemulsion formulations. Pharm Res. 2006 Oct;23(10):2482-90. (PMID:16927186)
- Land LM, Li P, Bummer PM. The influence of water content of triglyceride oils on the solubility of steroids. Pharm Res. 2005 May;22(5):784-8. (PMID:15906174)
- Lehmler HJ, Bummer PM. Mixing behavior of 10-(perfluorohexyl)-decanol and DPPC. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2005 Aug;44(2-3):74-81. (PMID:16024238)