Peixuan Guo - Ph.D.
Peixuan Guo, one of the top three nanobiotechnology experts in the world, recently joined the University of Kentucky, where he shares a joint appointment as a professor and William Farish Endowed Chair of Nanobiotechnology in UK College of Pharmacy and Markey Cancer Center, and serves as the Director of Nanobiotechnology Center. He brings four research faculty members, five postdoctoral fellows, and 11 graduate students with him, along with more than $10 million in research funding and equipments. Guo has been the director of a NIH Nanomedicine Development Center, one of only eight such centers in the country. He is currently directing the National Cancer Institute Cancer Nanotechnology Platform Partnership Program with a focus on RNA Nanotechnology for Cancer Therapy. He is co-founder of Kylin Therapeutics, Inc, and Biomotor and Nucleic Acid Nanotechnology Development, LTD.
Research InterestsNanobiotechnology, including structure, function and applications of phi29 DNA-packaging nanomotor, RNA Nanotechnology for siRNA/drug delivery, single molecule imaging and single molecule optical instrumentation; single pore sensing and singe pore high through DNA sequencing using phi29 DNA packaging motor.
- Haque F, Shu D, Shu Y, Shlyakhtenko L, Rychahou P, Evers M, Guo P. 2012 Ultrastable synergistic tetravalent RNA nanoparticles for targeting to cancers. Nano Today. 2012 Aug;7(4):245–57.
- Guo P, Haque F, Hallahan B, Reif R, Li H. Uniqueness, advantages, challenges, solutions, and perspectives in therapeutics applying RNA nanotechnology. Nucleic Acid Ther. 2012 Aug;22(4):226-45.
- Zhang H, Schwartz C, De Donatis GM , and Guo P. ‘‘Push Through One-Way Valve’’ Mechanism of Viral DNA Packaging. Advances in Virus Research. 2012. 83: 415-465.
- Shim J, Geng J, Ahn C and Guo P. Formation of lipid bilayers inside microfluidic channel array for monitoring membrane-embedded nanopores of phi29 DNA packaging nanomotor. Biomed Microdevices. 2012 Oct;14(5):921-8.
- Haque F, Lunn J, Fang H; Smithrud D; Guo P. 2012. Real time sensing and discrimination of single chemicals using channel of phi29 DNA packaging nanomotor. ACS Nano. 2012 Apr 24;6(4):3251-61.
- Fang H, Jing P, Haque F and Guo P. 2012. Role of channel lysines and the "push through a one-way valve" mechanism of the viral DNA packaging motor. Biophys J. 2012 Jan 4;102(1):127-35
- Shu D, Shu Y, Haque F, Abdelmawla S and Guo P. 2011. Thermodynamically stable RNA three-way junction for constructing multifunctional nanoparticles for delivery of therapeutics. Nature Nanotech. 6(10):658-67.
- Schwartz C, Fang H, Huang L and Guo P. 2011. Sequential action of ATPase, ATP, ADP, Pi and dsDNA in procapsid-free system to enlighten mechanism in viral dsDNA packaging. Nucleic Acids Res. (2012) 40 (6): 2577-2586.
- Geng J, Fang H, Haque F, Zhang L and Guo P. 2011. Three reversible and controllable discrete steps of channel gating of a viral DNA packaging motor. Biomaterials. 32:8234.
- Shu Y, Cinier M, Fox SR, Ben-Johnathan N, and Guo P. 2011. Assembly of Therapeutic pRNA-siRNA Nanoparticles Using Bipartite Approach. Mol Ther. 19:1304.
- Shu Y, Cinier M, Shu D and Guo P. 2011. Assembly of Multifunctional Phi29 pRNA Nanoparticles for Specific Delivery of SiRNA and other Therapeutics to Targeted Cells. Methods. 54:204.
- Liu J, Guo S, Cinier M, Shlyakhtenko L, Shu Y, Chen C, Shen G, and Guo P. 2011. Fabrication of Stable and RNase- Resistant RNA Nanoparticles Active in Gearing the Nanomotors for Viral DNA Packaging. ACS Nano. 5:237.
- Guo P. 2011. RNA Nanotechnology: methods for synthesis, conjugation, assembly and application of RNA nanoparticles. Methods. 54:201.
- Shukla GC, Haque F, Tor Y, Wilhelmsson LM, Toulmé JJ, Isambert H, Guo P, Rossi JJ, Tenenbaum SA, and Shapiro BA. 2011. A boost for the emerging field of RNA nanotechnology. ACS Nano. 5:3405.
- Abdelmawla S, Guo S, Zhang L, Pulukuri SM, Patankar P, Conley P, Trebley J, Guo P, and Li QX. 2011. Pharmacological Characterization of Chemically Synthesized Monomeric phi29 pRNA Nanoparticles for Systemic Delivery. Mol Ther. 19:1312.
- Laing BM, Guo P, and Bergstrom DE. 2011. Optimized method for the synthesis and purification of adenosine - Folic acid conjugates for use as transcription initiators in the preparation of modified RNA. Methods. 54:260.
- Zhou J, Shu Y, Guo P, Smith DD, and Rossi JJ. 2011. Dual Functional RNA Nanoparticles Containing Phi29 Motor pRNA and Anti-gp120 Aptamer for Cell-type Specific Delivery and HIV-1 Inhibition. Methods. 54:284.
- Tarapore P, Shu Y, Guo P, and Ho SM. 2011. Application of Phi29 Motor pRNA for Targeted Therapeutic Delivery of siRNA Silencing Metallothionein-IIA and Survivin in Ovarian Cancers. Mol Ther.19:386.
- Guo P. 2010. The emerging field of RNA nanotechnology. Nature Nanotech. 5:833.
- Green DJ, Wang JC, Xiao F, Cai Y, Balhorn R, Guo P, and Cheng RH. 2010. Self-Assembly of Heptameric Nanoparticles Derived from Tag-Functionalized Phi29 Connectors. ACS Nano. 4:7651.
- Shu D, Zhang H, Petrenko R, Meller J, and Guo P. 2010. Dual-Channel Single-Molecule Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer to Establish Distance Parameters for RNA Nanoparticles. ACS Nano. 4:6843.
- Ma X, Wang D, Wu Y, Ho RJ, Jia L, Guo P, Hu L, Xing G, Zeng Y, and Liang XJ. 2010. AIDS Treatment with Novel Anti-HIV Compounds Improved by Nanotechnology. The AAPS J. 12:272.
- Jing P, Haque F, Shu D, Montemagno CD, and Guo P. 2010. One-Way Trafﬁc of a Viral Motor Channel for Double-Stranded DNA Translocation. Nano Lett. 10:3620.
- Xiao F, Demeler B and Guo P. 2010. Assembly Mechanism of the Sixty-Subunit Nanoparticles via Interaction of RNA with the Reengineered Protein Connector of phi29 DNA-Packaging Motor. ACS Nano. 4: 3293.
- Jing P, Haque F, Vonderheide AP, Montemagno C and Guo P. 2010. Robust Properties of Membrane-Embedded Connector Channel of Bacterial Virus Phi29 DNA Packaging Motor. Mol BioSyst. 6:1844.
- Zhang H, Shu D, Wang W and Guo P. 2010. Design and application of single fluorophore dual-view imaging system containing both the objective- and prism-type TIRF. Proc of SPIE. 7571, 757107.
- Guo P, Coban O, Snead NM, Trebley J, Hoeprich S, Guo S, Shu Y. 2010. Engineering RNA for targeted siRNA delivery and medical application. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 62:650.
- Wendell D, Jing P, Geng J, Subramaniam V, Lee TJ, Montemagno CD and Guo P. 2009. Translocation of double stranded DNA through membrane adapted phi29 motor protein nanopore. Nature Nanotech. 4:765.
- Guo P, Zhang C, Chen C, Garver K, and Trottier M. 1998. Inter-RNA Interaction of phage phi29 pRNA to Form a Hexameric Complex for DNA Transportation. Mol Cell. 2:149.
- Guo P, Erickson S, and Anderson D. 1987. A small viral RNA is required for in vitro packaging of bacteriophage phi29 DNA. Science. 236:690.
- Guo P, Grimes S, and Anderson D. 1986. A defined system for in vitro packaging of DNA-gp3 of the Bacillus subtilis bacteriophage phi29. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 83:3505.
- more publications
Website LinksDr. Peixuan Guo's Research Website
Phi29 DNA-Packaging Motor for Nanomedicine
2010 International Conference of RNA Nanotechnology and Therapeutics
Guo World Renowned Nanobiotechnology Expert to Join Faculty at UK