Wooin Lee - Ph.D.
Dr. Lee's major research interest is to understand the genetic and molecular bases for interindividual variability associated with chemotherapy. One project in the laboratory is to investigate the role of drug efflux and influx transporters and the impact of their genetic variations in cancer therapy. Other projects examine the immunoproteasome as a novel anticancer target and the impact of genetic variations associated with the immunoproteasome subunits on the effectiveness of the immunoproteasome-targeting approach. As ongoing collaborative efforts with clinical oncologists, we investigate the impact of host and tumoral factors influencing clinical response and toxicity of chemotherapy and assess the variability in the pharmacokinetics of anticancer agents as a potential cause for differing clinical outcome.
- Thakkar N, Kim K, Jang ER, Han S, Kim K, Kim D, Merchant N, Lockhart AC, Lee W. A cancer-specific variant of the SLCO1B3 gene encodes a novel human organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 (OATP1B3) localized mainly in the cytoplasm of colon and pancreatic cancer cells. Mol Pharm. 2013;10(1):406-416. (PMID:23215050)
- Miller Z, Ao L, Kim KB, Lee W. Inhibitors of the Immunoproteasome: Current Status and Future Directions. Curr Pharm Des (2013, in press) (PMID: 23181576)
- Jang ER, Lee N, Han S, Wu Y, Kumar Sharma L, Carmony KC, Marks J, Lee D, Ban J, Wehenkel M, Hong JT, Kim KB, Lee W. Revisiting the role of the immunoproteasome in the activation of the canonical NF-κB pathway. Mol Biosyst. 2012 Sep 31;8(9):2295-2302. (PMID:22722901)
- Kumar Sharma L, Lee N, Jang ER, Lei B, Zhan C-G, Lee W, Kim KB. Near-infrared fluorescent probe for LMP7: a chemical proteomics tool for immunoproteasome in living cells. Chembiochem. 2012;13(13):1899-903. (PMID:22807337)
- Ao L, Wu Y, Kim D, Jang ER, Kim K, Lee D, Kim KB, Lee W. Development of peptide-based reversing agents for P-glycoprotein-mediated resistance to carfilzomib. Mol. Pharmaceutics 2012;9:2197−2205 (PMID: 22734651)
- Infante J, Keedy V, Jones S, Zamboni W, Chan E, Bendell J, Lee W, Wu H, Ikeda S, Kodaira H, Rothenberg M, Burris III H. Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of IHL-305 (PEGylated liposomal irinotecan) in patients with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemo Pharmacol 2012 Nov;70(5):699-705 (PMID: 22941375).
- LaFleur B, Lee W, Billhiemer D, Lockhart A, Liu J, Merchant M, Statistical methods for assays with limits of detection: Serum bile acid as a differentiator between patients with normal colons, adenomas, and colorectal cancer. J Carcinog 10:12 (2011). (PMID:21712958)
- Puzanov I, Lee W, Berlin JD, Calcutt MW, Hachey DL, Vermeulen WL, Spanswick VJ, Liao C-Y, Hartley JA, Chen AP, Rothenberg ML, Phase I, Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Study of SJG-136, a Novel DNA Sequence Selective Minor Groove Cross-Linking Agent, in advanced solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res 17(11):3794-802 (2011). (PMID:21346148)
- Lee W, Kim KB. The immunoproteasome: An emerging therapeutic target. Curr Top Med Chem 11(23):2923-30 (2011). (PMID:21824107)
- Janjigian YY, Lee W, Kris MG, Miller VA, Krug LM, Azzoli CG, Senturk E, Calcutt MW, Rizvi NA. A phase I trial of SJG-136 (NSC#694501) in advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2010 Apr;65(5):833-8. (pmid=19672598)
- Jang ER, Lee W, Kim KB. Targeted Degradation of Proteins by PROTAC. (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimeric molecules). Curr Proto Chem Bio 2: 71-87 (2010)
- Lee W, Patel JH, Lockhart AC. Novel targets in esophageal and gastric cancer: beyond antiangiogenesis. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2009 Sep;18(9):1351-64. (pmid=19642951)
- Lee W, Belkhiri A, Lockhart AC, Merchant N, Glaeser H, Harris EI, Washington MK, Brunt EM, Zaika A, Kim RB, El-Rifai W. Overexpression of OATP1B3 confers apoptotic resistance in colon cancer. Cancer Res. 2008 Dec 15;68(24):10315-23. (pmid=19074900)
- Lockhart AC, Harris E, LaFleur BJ, Merchant NB, Washington MK, Resnick MB, Yeatman TJ, Lee W. Organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 (OATP1B3) is overexpressed in colorectal tumors and is a predictor of clinical outcome. Clin Exp Gastroenterol:1-7(2008) (pmid=21677819)
- Wade Calcutt M, Lee W, Puzanov I, Rothenberg ML, Hachey DL. Determination of chemically reduced pyrrolobenzodiazepine SJG-136 in human plasma by HPLC-MS/MS: application to an anticancer phase I dose escalation study. J Mass Spectrom. 2008 Jan;43(1):42-52. (pmid=17683023)
Lee Lab Website (http://openwetware.org/wiki/Lee)