Younsoo Bae, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator (Scholar Profile)
Dr. Younsoo Bae is a pharmaceutical scientist with expertise in controlled drug and gene delivery therapeutics. Dr. Bae received his PhD in materials science and engineering from University of Tokyo in 2005, and completed postdoctoral training at the school of pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison before he joined the department of pharmaceutical sciences, University of Kentucky, in 2008.
As of July 2014, Dr. Bae has published 53 peer-reviewed papers as well as 3 book chapters, and served as a reviewer for papers submitted to 43 scientific journals (Elsevier top reviewer in the subject area of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2012), international and domestic grant applications, and conferences (Controlled Release Society, Society for Biomaterials, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, and International Conference on Biomaterials Science). He has served as a grant reviewer for many research programs, which include Canada Foundation for Innovation, Rommanian National Council for Development and Innovation Partnership Program, Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (Lung Cancer, Discovery Award-Nanomedicine for Drug Delivery Science, Technology Therapeutic Development Award, and Investigator-initiated Research Award), Nazarbayev University Research Council, Natural Sceinces and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Prostate Cancer United Kingdom, and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research Technology Foundation. He is also an inventor on 12 issued and provisional patents.
Research Focus (Bae Lab Page)
Chemotherapy is a major therapeutic option for cancer and various human diseases, but the lack of effective and safe methods to control drug action in the body limits clinical applications of many potent drugs. Nanoparticles (< 100 nm in diameter) hold promise as vehicles that can deliver various payloads (anticancer drugs, proteins, nucleotides, and imaging agents) to targeted disease sites in the body in a controlled manner. Dr. Bae's ultimate goal is to develop more efficient and safer, individualized therapeutic options for patients by using smart nanoparticle drug carriers.
Towards this goal, Dr. Bae’s research team currently focuses on the development of polymer nanoassemblies, such as block copolymer micelles (BCMs), crosslinked nanoassemblies (CNAs), and tethered nanoassemblies (TNAs), as biocompatible, multifunctional, and modular tools that can fine-tune the release of therapeutic reagents in metastatic tumors. His research team has demonstrated that polymer nanoassemlbies entrapping anticancer drugs can suppress growth of lung, breast, prostate and colon cancer tumors in laboratory animals with reduced toxicity as opposed to traditional chemotherapy using small molecule drugs. Dr. Bae’s research team also makes collaborative research efforts with many other sceintists with different disciplines, such as engineers, chemists, biologists, and clinicians, to facilitate translation of promising drug compounds into the clinic.
Selected Papers from Scholar Profile
Highly Cited Papers (> 100 citations)
- Y. Bae and K. Kataoka (2009) Intelligent polymeric micelles from functional poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(amino acid) block copolymers. Adv. Drug Delivery Rev., 61, 768-784.
- Y. Bae, N. Nishiyama and K. Kataoka (2007) In vivo antitumor activity of the folate-conjugated ph-sensitive polymeric micelle selectively releasing adriamycin in the intracellular acidic compartments. Bioconjugate Chem., 18, 1131-1139.
- M.R. Kano, Y. Bae, C. Iwata, Y. Morishita, M. Yashiro, M. Oka, T. Fujii, A. Komuro, K. Kiyono, M. Kaminishi, K. Hirakawa, Y. Ouchi, N. Nishiyama, K. Kataoka and K. Miyazono (2007) Improvement of cancer-targeting therapy, using nanocarriers for intractable solid tumors by inhibition of TGF-β signaling. PNAS, 104, 3460-3465.
- Y. Bae, W.-D. Jang, N. Nishiyama, S. Fukushima and K. Kataoka (2005) Multifunctional polymeric micelles with folate-mediated cancer cell targeting and pH-triggered drug releasing properties for active intracellular drug delivery. Mol. BioSyst., 1, 242-250.
- Y. Bae, N. Nishiyama, S. Fukushima, H. Koyama, M. Yasuhiro and K. Kataoka (2005) Preparation and biological characterization of polymeric micelle drug carriers with intracellular ph-triggered drug release property: tumor permeability, controlled subcellular drug distribution, and enhanced in vivo antitumor efficacy. Bioconjugate Chem., 16, 122-130.
- Y. Bae, S. Fukushima, A. Harada and K. Kataoka (2003) Design of environment-sensitive supramolecular assemblies for intracellular drug delivery: Polymeric micelles that are responsive to intracellular pH change. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 42, 4640-4643.
- A. Ponta, Y. Bae (2014) Tumor-preferential sustained drug release enhances antitumor activity of block copolymer micelles, J. Drug. Target., (Published Online).
- M. Dickerson, N. Winquist, Y. Bae (2014) Photo-inducible crosslinked nanoassemblies for pH-controlled drug release, Pharm. Res., 31, 1254-1263.
- H.J. Lee, Y. Bae (2013) Pharmaceutical differences between block copolymer self-assembled and cross-linked nanoassemblies as carriers for tunable drug release, Pharm. Res., 30, 478-488.
- A.M. Eckman, E. Tsakalozou. N.Y. Kang, A. Ponta, Y. Bae (2012) Drug release patterns and cytotoxicity of PEG-poly(aspartate) block copolymer micelles in cancer cells. Pharm. Res., 29, 1755-1767.
- S. Akter, B.F. Clem, H.J. Lee, J. Chesney and Y. Bae (2012) Block Copolymer Micelles for Controlled Delivery of Glycolytic Enzyme Inhibitors. Pharm. Res., 29, 847-855.
- D. Scott, J. Rohr and Y. Bae (2011) Nanoparticulate formulations of mithramycin analogs for enhanced cytotoxicity. Int. J. Nanomed., 6, 2757-2767.
- M.D. Howard, A. Ponta, A. Eckman, M. Jay and Y. Bae (2011) Polymer micelles with hydrazone-ester dual linkers for tunable release of dexamethasone. Pharm. Res., 28, 2435-2446.
- H.J. Lee and Y. Bae (2011) Cross-linked nanoassemblies from poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(aspartate) block copolymers as stable supramolecular templates for particulate drug delivery. Biomacromolecules, 12, 2686-2696.
- H.-C. Shin, A.W.G. Alani, H. Cho, Y. Bae, J.M. Kolesar and G.S. Kwon (2011) A 3-in-1 polymeric micelle nanocontainer for poorly water-soluble drugs. Mol. Pharm., 8, 1257-1265.
- A. Ponta and Y. Bae (2010) PEG-poly(amino acid) block copolymer micelles for tunable drug release. Pharm. Res., 27, 2330-2342.
- Y. Bae, A.W.G. Alani, N.C. Rockich, T.S.Z.C. Lai and G.S. Kwon (2010) Mixed pH-sensitive polymeric micelles for combination drug delivery. Pharm. Res., 27, 2421-2432.
- A.W.G. Alani, Y. Bae, D.A. Rao and G.S. Kwon (2010) Polymeric micelles for the pH-dependent controlled, continuous low dose release of paclitaxel. Biomaterials, 31, 1765-1772.
- Y. Bae, T.A. Diezi, A. Zhao and G.S. Kwon (2007) Mixed polymeric micelles for combination cancer chemotherapy through the concurrent delivery of multiple chemotherapeutic agents. J. Control. Release, 122, 324-330.
- T.-H.H. Chen, Y. Bae, D.Y. Furgeson, G.S. Kwon (2012) Biodegradable hybrid recombinant block copolymers for non-viral gene transfection. Int. J. Pharm., 427, 105-112.
- T.C. Lai, Y. Bae, T. Yoshida, K. Kataoka and G.S. Kwon (2010) pH-Sensitive multi-PEGylated block copolymer as a bioresponsive pDNA delivery vector. Pharm. Res., 27, 2260-2273.
- T.-H.H. Chen, Y. Bae and D.Y. Furgeson (2008) Intelligent biosynthetic nanobiomaterials (IBNs) for hyperthermic gene delivery. Pharm. Res., 25, 683-691.
- M. Han, Y. Bae, N. Nishiyama, K. Miyata, M. Oba and K. Kataoka (2007) Transfection study using multicellular tumor spheroids for screening non-viral polymeric gene vectors with low cytotoxicity and high transfection efficiencies. J. Control. Release, 121, 38-48.
- M.P. Xiong, Y. Bae, S. Fukushima, M.L. Forrest, N. Nishiyama, K. Kataoka and G.S. Kwon (2007) pH-responsive multi-PEGylated dual cationic nanoparticles enable charge modulations for safe gene delivery. ChemMedChem, 2, 1321-1327
- M. Dickerson, Y. Bae (2013) Block copolymer nanoassemblies for photodynamic therapy and diagnosis, Ther. Delivery, 4, 1431-1441.
- R.J. Wydra, A.M. Kruse, Y. Bae, K.W. Anderson, J.Z. Hilt (2013) Synthesis and characterization of PEG-iron oxide core-shell composite nanoparticles for thermal therapy, Mat. Sci. Eng. C, 33, 4660-4666.
- K.S. Jackson, J. Yeom, Y. Han, Y. Bae, C. Ryou (2013) Preference toward a polylysine enantiomer in inhibiting prions, Amino Acids, 44, 3, 993-1000.
- M. Dan, D.F. Scott, P.A. Hardy, R.J. Wydra, J.Z. Hilt, R.A. Yokel, Y. Bae (2013) Block copolymer cross-linked nanoassemblies improve particle stability and biocompatibility of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles, Pharm. Res., 30, 552-561.
- S. Liu, Y. Bae, M. Leggas, A. Daily, S. Bhatnagar, S. Miriyala, D. St. Clair, J.A. Moscow (2012) Pharmacologic properties of polyethylene glycol-modified Bacillus thiaminolyticus thiaminase I enzyme. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 341, 775-783.
- E. Tsakalozou, A.M. Eckman, Y. Bae (2012) Combination Effects of Docetaxel and Doxorubicin in Hormone-Refractory Prostate Cancer Cells. Biochem. Res. Int., 2012, 1-10.
- H.J. Lee, A. Ponta and Y. Bae (2010) Polymer nanoassemblies for cancer treatment and imaging. Ther. Delivery, 1, 803-817.
- Y. Lee, S. Fukushima, Y. Bae, S. Hiki, T. Ishii and K. Kataoka (2007) A Protein Nanocarrier from Charge-Conversion Polymer in Response to Endosomal pH. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 5362-5363.
Service (year started)
- Korean-American Scientist and Engineers Association meeting (speaker), 2010
Editorial Board Member
- British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (academic editor), 2013
- Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology (editorial board member), 2011
- Medicinal Chemistry (editorial board member), 2011
Conference Abstract Reviewer and Organizing Member
- The Society for Biomaterials (reviewer, speaker), 2012
- International Conference on Biomaterials Science (organizing committee member, reviewer, speaker), 2011
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (reviewer, speaker), 2011
- Controlled Release Society (reviewer, speaker), 2010
- DoD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs, Discovery Award-Nanomedicine for drug delivery Science (DIS-NDDS) peer review, 2013
- Prostate Cancer United Kingdom (Formally known as The Prostate Cancer Charity, registered charity in England, Wales, and Scotland), 2013
- Czech Science Foundation, 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, 2013
- Nazarbayev University Research Council in Astana, Kazakhstan, 2013
- Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs Lung Cancer, 2011
- Romanian National Council for Development and Innovation Partnership Programme, 2011
- Canada Foundation for Innovation, 2010
- Molecular Therapy, 2013
- Biomaterials Science, 2013
- Materials, 2012
- Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2012
- Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2012
- International Journal of Nanomedicine, 2012
- European Polymer Journal, 2012
- Current Pharmaceutical Design, 2012
- Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2012
- Polymer International, 2011
- Nanomedicine, 2011
- Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2011
- Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2011
- Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, 2011
- Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2011
- Future Oncology, 2011
- European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2011
- Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2011
- Therapeutic Delivery, 2010
- Reactive and Functional Polymers, 2010
- Macromolecules, 2010
- Macromoleuclar Bioscience, 2010
- Advanced Functional Materials, 2010
- Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2010
- ACS Nano, 2010
- Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2009
- Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, 2009
- Acta Biomaterialia, 2008
- Pharmaceutical Research, 2007
- International Journal of Cancer, 2007
- European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2007
- Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2006
- International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2006
- Biomaterials, 2006
- Biomacromolecules, 2005
- Angewandte Chemie, 2005
- ChemBioChem, 2005
- Journal of Controlled Release, 2005
- Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 2005
- Journal of Drug Targeting, 2005
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2005
- Molecular Biosystems, 2005