Kelly M. Smith - PharmD, FASHP, FCCP
Biographical Information and Research Interests
Kelly M. Smith, PharmD is Interim Dean and Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky (UK) College of Pharmacy. A graduate of the University of Georgia, Dr. Smith completed drug information residency training at UFHealth/Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida. She began her career as a drug information clinical specialist and Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) at UK Hospital, went on to become Director of the affiliated Drug Information Center, and also served for 10 years as the Postgraduate Year One Pharmacy Residency Program Director for UK HealthCare. That program was named as the nation’s best by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) during her leadership. She then went on to serve as Director of Residency Program Advancement for the College, developing the inaugural coalition of residency programs across the state of Kentucky that was later formalized as the Kentucky Pharmacy Residency Network.
She currently focuses her scholarly and teaching efforts on pharmacy practice models and workforce development, particularly through student career development and residency training.
She serves on the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists’ Board of Directors and the Pharmacy Technician Accreditation Commission and has previously held leadership roles in the University Health-System Consortium’s Pharmacy Council, the American College of Clinical Pharmacy and the American Academy of Wound Management. She participated as a leadership fellow for the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, an organization for which she has held several leadership roles, as well. In recognition of her profession-wide and organizational contributions, she has been named Pharmacist of the Year by the Kentucky Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the Kentucky Pharmacists Association, as well as Fellow of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
Dr. Smith has held roles on the editorial advisory board of the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, and Orthopedics, is aprolific journal and book author, and was has been named one of the 25 Top Pharmacy Professors in the US by Sechel Ventures, an independent forecaster of healthcare workforce trends and dynamics.
- ASHP Section of Clinical Specialists and Scientists Distinguished Service Award (2012)
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society (2011)
- ACCP Fellow (2008)
- KPhA Pharmacist of the Year (2008)
- ASHP Fellow (2007)
- KSHP Pharmacist of the Year (2005)
- AACP Innovations in Teaching Award (2004)
Professional Organization Leadership
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
Chair, Pharmacist Recruitment and Admissions Task Force, Council of Deans (2015 to present)
Task Force on Teaching Certificate Programs, Section of Pharmacy Practice (2012 to present)
Finance Committee (2007-2008)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
Chair, Task Force on Residencies (2008 to 2010)
Drug Information PRN (Practice and Research Network) Chair (2004 to 2005)
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) (1992 to present)
Member, Board of Directors (2012 to present)
Chair, Commission on Credentialing (2004 to 2005)
Council on Education and Workforce Development (2012 to 2013)
Member, Task Force on ASHP Organizational Structure (2012 to 2013)
Council on Therapeutics (2009 to 2010)
Executive Committee Chair, Section of Clinical Specialists and Scientists (2007 to 2008)
- National Institute for Pharmaceutical Technology and Education (NIPTE) (2015 to present)
Member, Board of Directors
- Pharmacy Technician Accreditation Commission (PTAC)
Commission Member (2014 to present)
- University Health-System Consortium Pharmacy Council
Executive Committee (2008)
Chair, Research and Education Committee (2008)
- Butts AR, Smith KM. Application and interview features used to assess applicant qualifications for residency training. Hosp Pharm. 2015;50:125-33.
- Oyler DR, Smith KM, Elson EC, Bush H, Cook AM. Incorporating multiple mini-interviews in the postgraduate year 1 pharmacy residency program selection process. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2014;71:297-304.
- Holder M, Smith KM, Fugit A, Macaulay T, Cook AM. National survey of pharmacy residency on-call programs. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2013;70:1676-80.
- Elson EC, Smith K, Cook AM. Building a customized residency learning experience. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2013;70:1021-3.
- May JR, Chan J, Choudhary K, Fuller PD, Goldman M, Jasiak K, Leinum C, Phillips H, Smith KM. Coping with the residency scramble: need for national guidelines. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2012;69:253-5.
- Fuller PD, Smith KM, Hinman RK, Petit NN, Gross AK, Hillebrand K, Phelps PK Value of pharmacy residency training: A survey of the academic medical center perspective. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2012;69:158-65.
- Cain JJ, Scott DR, Smith KM. Use of social media by residency program directors for resident selection. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2010;67:1635-9.
- Smith KM, Sorensen T, Connor KA, Dobesh PP, Hoehns JD, Marcus KB, et al. Value of conducting pharmacy residency training - the organizational perspective. Pharmacotherapy. 2010;30:490-510e.
- Ramsey EZ, Miller AD, Armitstead JA, Smith KM. Using pharmacy residency recruitment as a practical learning experience for existing residents. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2009;66:329-32.
- Daugherty NE, Ryan M, Romanelli F, Smith KM. Board certification of pharmacy residency program directors. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:1415-21.
- Smith KM, Romanelli F. Use of an electronic survey to assess the training and practice experiences of pharmacy residency graduates. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2005;62:2283-8.
- Smith KM, Trapskin PJ, Armitstead JA. Adoption of duty hour standards in a pharmacy residency program. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2005;62:800-3.
- Hoffmann JM, Thomley S, Vermeulen L, Smith KM. Pharmacy residency training in academic medical centers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2004;61:2528-33
- Flannery AH, Winstead PS, Smith KM. Transforming the curriculum vitae as a new practitioner. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2014:71:2115-7.
- Walsh KA, Smith KM, Armitstead JA. Patterns of pharmacist continuing education and concordance with practice areas in an academic medical center. Hosp Pharm. 2012:47:626-32.
Pharmacy Practice Models
- Allen DD, Smith KM. A hand and glove approach to pharmacy experiential education and residency training. Am J Pharm Ed. 2010;74(4): Article 65.
- Wiesner AM, Steinke DT, Vincent WR, Record KE, Smith KM. National survey of pharmacy services in free medical clinics.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2010;50:45-51.
- Smith KM, Phelps PK, Mazur JE, May JR. Relationships between colleges of pharmacy and academic medical centers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2008;65:1750-54.
- Toma MB, Winstead PS, Smith KM, Lewis DA, Clifford TM. Pharmacy resident participation in cardiopulmonary resuscitation events. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:747-53.
- Johnson N, Vermeulen L, Smith KM. A survey of academic medical centers to distinguish between quality improvement and research activities. Q Manage Health Care. 2006;15:215-20.
- Smith KM, Trapskin PJ, Empey PE, Hecht KA, Armitstead JA. Internally-developed online adverse drug reaction and medication error reporting systems. Hospital Pharmacy. 2006;41:428-36.
- Sterling ES, Romanelli F, Martin CA, Hoven AD, Smith KM. Impact of a pharmacy-initiated HIV admission note on medication errors within an academic hospital. Hospital Pharmacy. 2005;40:874-81.
- Weant KA, Smith KM, Lewis DA. Assessment of prescriber compliance with established heart failure guidelines at a major medical center. Hospital Pharmacy. 2005;40:680-6.
- Trapskin PJ, Smith KM, Armitstead JA, Davis GA. Use of an audience response system to introduce an anticoagulation guide to physicians, pharmacists and pharmacy students. Am J Pharm Ed. 2005;69:190-7.
Scholarship of Teaching
- Cain J, Noel Z, Smith KM, Romanelli F. Four rights of the pharmacy educational consumer. Am J Pharm Ed. 2014:78(6): Article 115.
- Wright EA, Brown B, Gettig J, Martello JL, McClendon KS, Smith KM, Teeters J, Ulbrich TR, Wegrzyn N, Bradley-Baker LR. Teaching and learning curriculum programs: recommendations for postgraduate pharmacy experiences in education. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2014:71:1292-302.
- Cain J, Romanelli F, Smith KM. Academic entitlement in pharmacy education. Am J Pharm Ed. 2012;76(10): Article 189.
- Romanelli F, Cain J, Smith KM. To record or not to record? Am J Pharm Ed. 2011;75(8): Article 149 (Commentary).
- Smith KM, Scott DR, Barner JC, DeHart RM, Scott JD, Martin S. Interprofessional education: extent of, barriers to, and opportunities for implementation in six US colleges of pharmacy. Am J Pharm Ed. 2009;73(4): Article 61.
- Romanelli F, Cain J, Smith KM. The prospects of emotional intelligence as a predictor of academic and professional success. Am J Pharm Ed. 2006;70(3):Article 69.
- Romanelli F, Smith KM, Brandt BF. Teaching residents how to teach: a scholarship of teaching and learning certificate program (STLC) for pharmacy residents. Am J Pharm Ed. 2005;69:126-32.
- Bookstaver B, Quidley AM, Rudisill CR, Smith KM, eds. Roadmap to Postgraduate Training in Pharmacy. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2013.
- Komiyama T, Ryan M, Smith KM. Practical English Conversation for Pharmacists. 2nd ed. Tokyo: Jiho; 2010 [Japanese].
- Smith KM, Riche D, Henyan N, eds. Clinical Drug Data. 11th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2010.
- Gomella LW, Haist SA, Adams AG, Smith KM, eds. Clinician's Pocket Drug Reference 2008. New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- Smith KM, Contributor. In: Gomella LG, Haist SA, Adams AG, Smith KM, eds. Scut Monkey: Clinician's Pocket Reference. 11th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2007.
- Gomella LW, Haist SA, Adams AG, Smith KM, eds. Clinician's Pocket Drug Reference. New York, NY: McGraw Hill Annual editions published from 2002-2007.
- Smith KM, Associate Editor. Nurse’s Pocket Drug Guide 2007. New York, NY: McGraw Hill Annual editions published from 2005 to 2007.
- Smith KM, Associate Editor. Internal Medicine On Call. Stamford, CT: Appleton & Lange; 4th and 5th editions, published 2004 and 2005.
- Smith KM On the horizon: the future of pharmacy residency training. In: Bookstaver B, Quidley AM, Rudisill CR, Smith KM, eds. Roadmap to Postgraduate Training in Pharmacy. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2013
- Hess MM, Smith KM. Who’s in charge? The role of accreditation in postgraduate pharmacy training. In: Bookstaver B, Quidley AM, Rudisill CR, Smith KM, eds. Roadmap to Postgraduate Training in Pharmacy. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2013
- Smith KM. Choosing a residency. In: Crouch MA, ed. Securing and Excelling in a Pharmacy Residency. New York, NY: Jones & Bartlett; 2011:123-8.
- Smith KM. Scholarship responsibilities. In: Crouch MA, ed. Securing and Excelling in a Pharmacy Residency. New York, NY: Jones & Bartlett; 2011;177-82.
- Smith KM. What to expect: navigating new territory. In: Murphy JE, ed. Resident Survival Guide. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy; 2011:25-34.
- Smith KM. Drug information education and training. In: Malone PM, Kier KL, Stanovich JE, eds. Drug Information - A Guide for Pharmacists. 4th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2011;917-29.
- Smith KM. Case study (3): Allergic and drug-induced skin diseases. In: Helms R, Quan DJ, Herfindal ET, Gourley DR, eds. Textbook of Therapeutics: Drug and Disease Management. 8th ed. New York, NY: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:273-4, 2596-7.
- Smith KM. Allergic and drug-induced skin diseases. In: Helms R, Quan DJ, Herfindal ET, Gourley DR, eds. Textbook of Therapeutics: Drug and Disease Management. 8th ed. New York, NY: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:181-202.
- Editor, Pharmacology Update (Monthly column), Orthopedics (2007-10)
- Editorial Advisory Board member, Professionalism in Pharmacy Practice series. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (2008).
- American Pharmacists Association Scientific Review Panel member, Evaluations of Drug Interactions. First Data Bank (2008).
- Editorial Advisory Board member. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy (2007-10).
- Editorial Advisory Board member. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association (2003-06).