Kelly M. Smith - PharmD, BCPS, FASHP, FCCP
Biographical Information and Research Interests
Kelly M. Smith, PharmD is Interim Dean and Associate Professor, Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy. A graduate of the University of Georgia, Dr. Smith completed drug information residency training at UF Health Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida. She began her career as a drug information clinical specialist and Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist at UK Hospital, went on to become Director of that Center, and also served for ten years as the Postgraduate Year One Pharmacy Residency Program Director for UK HealthCare. That program was named as the nation's best by ASHP during her leadership.
She currently focuses her scholarly and teaching efforts on pharmacy practice models and workforce development, particularly through student career development and residency training.
She serves on the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists' Board of Directors, and has previously held leadership roles in the University Health-System Consortium's Pharmacy Council, the American College of Clinical Pharmacy and the American Academy of Wound Management.
In recognition of her profession-wide and organizational contributions, she has been named Pharmacist of the Year by the Kentucky Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the Kentucky Pharmacists Association, as well as Fellow of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. Dr. Smith has held roles on the editorial advisory board of the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, and Orthopedics, is a prolific journal and book author, and was recently named one of the 25 Top Pharmacy Professors in the US by Sechel Ventures, an independent forecaster of healthcare workforce trends and dynamics.
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare (Marquis) 2009-10
- Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals, Honors Edition (Marquis) (2008-9)
- Pharmacist of the Year, Kentucky Pharmacists Association (2008)
- Pharmacist of the Year, Kentucky Society of Health-System Pharmacists (2005)
- Rho Chi National Pharmacy Honor Society Initiate (2008)
- Phi Lambda Sigma National Pharmacy Society Honorary Member (2009)
- Pharmacy Residency Program Award of Excellence, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (2007)
- Academic Leadership Fellow, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (2007 to present)
- Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (2008)
- Fellow, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (2007)
Professional Organization Leadership
- American Academy of Wound Management – Member (Public) Board of Directors ( 2007-09)
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
Administrative Delegate (2009-10)
Academic Leadership Fellow (2007-08)
Finance Committee (2007-08)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
Task Force on Residencies, Chair (2008-10)
Annual Meeting Student Presymposium Committee, Chair (2008)
Drug Information PRN, Chair (2004-05)
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
Section of Clinical Specialists and Scientists, Chair (2008-09)
Commission on Credentialing, Chair (2005-06)
- University Health-System Consortium
Pharmacy Council Executive Committee, Member (2008)
Research and Education Committee, Chair (2008)
- Allen DD, Smith KM. A hand and glove approach to pharmacy experiential education and residency training. Am J Pharm Ed. 2010;74(4): Article 65 (Commentary)
- Smith KM, Sorensen T, Connor KA, Dobesh PP, Hoehns JD, Marcus KB, et al. Value of conducting pharmacy residency training - the organizational perspective. Pharmacotherapy. Accepted. Pre-publication draft - http://www.accp.com/docs/positions/whitePapers/ValuePhcyResFinalDraft.pdf. (Invited manuscript).
- Wiesner AM, Steinke DT, Vincent WR, Record KE, Smith KM. National survey of pharmacy services in free medical clinics. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2010;50:45-51.
- Smith KM, Scott DR, Barner JC, DeHart RM, Scott JD, Martin S. Interprofessional education: extent of, barriers to, and opportunities for implementation in six US colleges of pharmacy. Am J Pharm Ed. 2009;73(4): Article 61 (Invited manuscript).
- Bernknopf AC, Karpinski JP, McKeever AL, Peak AS, Smith KM, Smith WD, Timpe EM, Ward KE. Drug information: from education to practice. Pharmacotherapy. 2009;331-46.
- Ramsey EZ, Miller AD, Armitstead JA, Smith KM. Using pharmacy residency recruitment as a practical learning experience for existing residents. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2009;66:329-32.
- Smith KM, Phelps PK, Mazur JE, May JR. Relationships between colleges of pharmacy and academic medical centers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2008;65:1750-54.
- Smith KM. Building upon existing evidence to shape future research endeavors. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2008;65:1767-74. (Invited manuscript).
- Vincent WR, Smith KM, Steinke D. Opportunities for pharmacists in public health. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:2002-7
- Daugherty NE, Ryan M, Romanelli F, Smith KM. Board certification of pharmacy residency program directors. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:1415-21.
- Mitchell T, Smith KM. Pursuing a faculty position. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:1031-2.
- Toma MB, Winstead PS, Smith KM, Lewis DA, Clifford TM. Pharmacy resident participation in cardiopulmonary resuscitation events. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:747-53.
- Johnson PN, Smith KM. Developing a teaching portfolio. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:352-6.
- Johnson N, Vermeulen L. Smith KM. A survey of academic medical centers to distinguish between quality improvement and reserach activities. Q Manage Health Care. 2006;15:215-20.
- Smith KM, Ball AM, Ramsey EZ, Armitstead JA. Professional development experience (PDE) - a learning activity for pharmacy residents. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2006;63:953-5.
- Ryan M, Butler JS, Romanelli F, Smith KM. The relationship of board certification to financial and professional benefits for pharmacy practice faculty. Journal of Pharmacy Teaching 2006;12:107-16.
- Miller A, Ball A, Smith KM, McAllister J. ASHP clinical skills competition: a problem-solving framework. Am J Health-Syste Pharm. 2005;62:2236-8.
- Smith KM, Romanelli F. Use of an electronic survey to assess the training and practice experiences of pharmacy residency graduates. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2005;62:2283-8.
- Romanelli F, Smith KM, Brandt BF. Teaching residents how to teach: a scholarship of teaching and learning certificate program (STLC) for pharmacy residents. Am J Pharm Ed. 2005;69:126-32.
- Smith KM, Trapskin PJ, Armitstead JA. Adoption of duty hour standards in a pharmacy residency program. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2005;62:800-3.
- Hoffmann JM, Thomley S, Vermeulen L, Smith KM. Pharmacy residency training in academic medical centers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2004;61:2528-33.
- Romanelli F, Ryan M, Smith KM. Board of pharmaceutical specialties (BPS) certified faculty: A survey of United States Colleges of Pharmacy. Pharmacotherapy 2004;24:395-400.
- Smith KM, Hecht KA, Armitstead JA, Davis GA. Evolution and operation of a pharmacy residency on-call program. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2003;60:2236-41.
- Ryan M, Romanelli F, Smith KM, Johnson MMS. Identifying and teaching Generation X pharmacy students. Am J Pharm Ed 2003:67(2)Article 9.
- Romanelli F, Smith KM, Brandt BF. Certificate program in teaching for pharmacy residents. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2001;58:896-8.
- Smith KM. Drug information education and training. In: Malone PM, Kier KL, Stanovich JE, eds. Drug Information - A Guide for Pharmacists. 4th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; In press.
- Komiyama T, Ryan M, Smith KM. Practical English Conversation for Pharmacists. 2nd ed. Tokyo: Jiho; 2010 [Japanese].
- Smith KM, Riche D, Henyan N, eds. Clinical Drug Data. 11th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2010.
- Smith KM. Case study (3): Allergic and drug-induced skin diseases. In: Helms R, Quan DJ, Herfindal ET, Gourley DR, eds. Textbook of Therapeutics: Drug and Disease Management. 8th ed. New York, NY: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:273-4, 2596-7.
- Smith KM. Allergic and drug-induced skin diseases. In: Helms R. Quan DJ, Herfindal ET, Gourley DR, eds. Textbook of Therapeutics: Drug and Disease Mangement. 8th ed. New York, NY: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:181-202.
- Smith KM. Associate/Editor and Contributor. Clinican's Pocket Drug Reference (2001-8 editions). New York, NY: McGraw Hill
- Smith KM,, Contributor. In: Gomella LG, Haist SA, ed. Scut Monkey: Clinican’s Pocket Reference. 9th-11th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2007.
- Editor, Pharmacology Update (Monthly column), Orthopedics (2007-10)
- Editorial Advisory Board member, Professionalism in Pharmacy Practice series. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (2008).
- American Pharmacists Association Scientific Review Panel member, Evaluations of Drug Interactions. First Data Bank (2008).
- Editorial Advisory Board member. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy (2007-10).
- Editorial Advisory Board member. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association (2003-06).
- Continuing Education Editorial Review Board member, Cerebrio (2007-08).
- Editor, Pharmacology Column, Orthopedics, 2007 to present.