We study mechanisms required for the pathogenesis of infection and discover novel compounds to inhibit these mechanisms by using a combination of enzymology, structural biology and biophysical chemistry.
Latest News from the Lab
We have openings for graduate and undergraduate students. Graduate students should first apply to the Ph.D. Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Kentucky.
- Congratulations to Allan! His manuscript on a crystal structure of PltA halogenase from the pyoluteorin pathway was accepted for publication in the Journal of Structural Biology.
- Congratulations to Allan on his authorship on a publication on the structure and mechanism of inorganic pyrophosphatase from Mycobacteirum tuberculosis in the Journal of Structural Biology.
- Congratulations to Caixia on her authorship on a publication on a crystal structure of methyltransferase CalO6 from the calicheamicin biosynthetic pathway in BMC Structural Biology.
- Dimitri Leggas wins a highly competitive 2015 Presidential Scholarship. Only ~140 graduating high-school seniors across the US receive this award. A WKU press resease on Dimitri's achievement can be found here. Congratulations, Dimitri !
- We welcome Dr. Josiah Obiero, a new postdoctoral scholar in our group.
- More good news from our junior students: Dimitri Leggas wins a highly prestigious 2015 Barry Goldwater Scholarship. The official press release and the full list of winners can be found on the Goldwater Scholarship website.
- Continuing his victorious path, Adil Yusuf wins the 1st place in the Chemistry Division at the 2015 Kentucky State Science and Engineering Fair for his chemoinformatics project (collaboration with Dr. Sylvie Garneau-Tsodikova).
- Adil Yusuf wins the 1st place in Chemistry at the 2015 Central Kentucky Regional Science and Engineering Fair as well as the prestigious Yale Science and Engineering Association Award for his chemoinformatics project (collaboration with Dr. Sylvie Garneau-Tsodikova). With this win, Adil advances to the State Science Fair. We wish Adil best of luck !
- Our manuscript on development of a novel crystal structure determination method has been accepted for publication in the Foundations of Crystallography (Leggas D and Tsodikov OV. (2015) Determination of small crystal structures from a minimum set of diffraction intensities by homotopy continuation. Acta Crystallogr. A (Foundations of Crystallography). In press.). Congratulations, Dimitri !
- Adil Yusuf was awarded the 1st place in Chemistry in the 2015 Fayette County District Science Fair for his chemoinformatics project (collaboration with Dr. Sylvie Garneau-Tsodikova). With this win, Adil advances to the Central Kentucky Regional Science and Engineering Fair. Congratulations and good luck, Adil !
- Our manuscript on the crystal structure of inorganic pyrophosphatase from Staphylococcus aureus is accepted for publication in the Journal of Structural Biology. Congratulations, Chathurada!
- Dimitri Leggas becomes a national semifinalist in the prestigious 2014 Siemens Competition among high-school students doing research for his project in our group on development a novel mathematical method of determining crystal structures. He is one of 400 semifinalists selected out of ~4,500 students who entered the competition this year. Congratulations, Dimitri! Please, see Press Releases from the Gatton Academy and the UK College of Pharmacy for more information.